22/2/11

Is Faith Necessary?

Do people of other faiths have to believe in Jesus to go to heaven?

Earlier this morning I had a video up of Joel Osteen's response to this question on Larry King Live. Resurgence had asked me to comment on Osteen's answer. A couple hours after the post went up the folks at Resurgence contacted me saying they found out Osteen issued an apology several years ago for the statements made on Larry King. You can read about the apology here. It is a clear, humble apology for which Osteen should be commended. As I remarked in my original post at Resurgence, "It's not easy to winsomely answer a question about the eternal fate of billions of people and do it on live television before the next commercial break." I'm sorry the post clip went up, even for a short time, because it does not accurately reflect what Osteen believes.
Very little of my post at Resurgence actually focused on Osteen. Mostly I imagined what I would have said (if I were thinking clearly and quickly on national television, which is a big "if"!). Here's my answer:

[...]
  Continue reading at link: Is Faith Necessary?  by Kevin DeYoung